Sunday, December 03, 2006

adrian's 5th race...and what a painful one it was...


did quite alot of stuff for the first time today...
my first 42km run...my first massage...my first taste of powergel...my first taste of leg cramps...

a run through of events for the day...

woke up at 420am...had an egg+protein whey+3 bananas...took 2 dumps...did my stretching...applied some deep heat...and took a slow jog to the start point...on my way there i had to stop at a toilet to take another dump though...heh

i managed to squeeze into the front pack near the start point...so i didnt have to face human traffic jams thru out the race...which was good of course...i managed to clear the first 21km in about 1hr 40min...which again was good as i managed to improve from the ahm timing...

upon entering ECP...everything went downhill unfotunately...the ball of my left foot started to hurt...then my knees...then my left quad started to cramp...so painful it overtook the pain from the foot and knees...then came my right quad...then both quads...then my left calf...then my right calf...then all 4 cramped together...my first time experiencing such a kind pain in my legs...so painful i had to stop and walk...thank goodness got pple supplying deep heat along the way...i took a total of 2 squeezes...once at ecp and another time at national stadium...but the pain bugged me on and off all the way till nearing the finishing stretch...

the powergel were...hmm...how to say...well you cant have it without water thats for sure...but it did help keep my hunger pang away so in a sense it did help i guess...

the cramps made the run very very unbearable...it made the 1km intervals all seem so damn far away...i had to slow down and walk at almost every water point from ecp onwards...of course giving up was never an option...it's just that my timing was affected with all the walking and seeing so many runners overtake me was so demoralising...i couldnt hit my target of 3.5hrs...and came in at 4:01:sthg sthg i think...lucky at the last stretch leading into city hall i got a burst of energy and ran pretty fast...

at certain stretches the cheers from the crowd were great morale boosters...i think i ran especially fast at the sheares bridge and at the last stretch all thanks to the cheers from the crowd...heh...

after the run and the collection of the medal and t-shirt and 2 cans of 100+, i queued up for the massage...and omg was it good or what...my first time having a massage too...and thank goodness 2 cute girls were doing the massage for me...hiakhiak...they did a very good job too!...especially when they dug into my legs using their fists...woho...hurt so much but so shiok...one of them ask me if i was ok anot as she found that my hamstring and ITV (dunno what's that though) were tight...and true enuf i havent stretched my hamstrings...

after the shiok massage i grabbed 2 bananas and a bottle of water and hobbled my way home...

so apart from that ordeal in ecp and all the muscle cramps...it felt pretty good to complete the race...at least i've done it once in my life...not exactly the best timing i hoped for as i'm pretty sure i could have done better...and weather was sooooo damn good too!!

hopefully i'll be much more better prepared next year...ooh...next year...hoho...next year then say ba...

No comments: